Thursday 11 July 2013

Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail

So yeah, Jay Z has a new album out. Just looking at the cover would make you think it is a sophisticated collection of well written and brilliantly performed album. Unfortunately not.

I'm currently on my 3rd run through of the album and I find it really difficult to deal with the excessive amounts of "UH"& "Yeah". For a rapper at the top of the rapping tables, he doesn't really show it in this album.

So lyrically, the album is really poor. The album talks about tweeting, sex and how much money he has. "FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt" features Rick Ross and it encompasses exactly what I said prior. Except, Instead of Ross shouting out that he is the "Teflon Don", it was Jay-Z linking to Lucky Luciano. I won't go on a rant about how pathetic this is but both of these guys have done nothing to compare themselves to some of the biggest criminals in history.

The execution of the tracks are alright. Vocals are ranged and have a variety of featuring artists. Yet you never feel the songs, they just blend into the background and don't really excite you and the actual music doesn't make you want to dance or give you any sort of boost to your day. Personally, I feel the album suggests that Jay-Z has lost his classic 99 Problems and Blueprint ability. I'm giving this album a 5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment