Friday 23 January 2015

Fall Out Boy - American Beauty / American Psycho - ALBUM REVIEW

Fall Out Boy is a band that I've grown up with. Witnessing their rise and popularity through Kerrang!'s publications, I always enjoyed keeping up with the squad. Although I was never an all-out fanboy, the big bangers of Sugar, We're going Down, This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race & Dance, Dance are the definitive collection of FOB that were enough to keep me coming back and enjoying what they threw out but I never could see myself rushing out for a new album to add to my collection. Then it hit me in 2013 - Save Rock n' Roll jumped onto the scene with the ingenious plan of creating music videos for every song on the new album with one narrative that really captured me. At this point, I found the FOB album that I would go out and buy, the one that I can play endlessly without it going stale.

If you want to read my review of Save Rock n' Roll, Click HERE

Obviously, I was extremely excited to follow the developments of American Beauty and loved the full album release on Youtube. What defined the previous album was a compilation of featuring talents and obviously a Rock inspired composition. Now, FOB turn the tide with an album that has electronic flares, no featuring artists and a definitive style. With the bands desire to appeal to more than just the rocker community, they have diversified their style and blended catchy riffs and chorus' that'll have you itching for another fix. Its move into the mainstream music means a reliance on synth and auto-tune, albeit well balanced and not as potent as T-Pain's catalogue but a level of which seems out of place and character.

As ever, certain songs jump out to me. Centuries is the first single released then you have The Kids Aren't Alright and Uma Thurman that have some awesome sampling and little titbits that add individuality to each tune. Technically, the variation is great, each song is its own, flows well in and out of the structured playlist with alternating tones and emotions. Stump's vocal range and style is brilliant and flourishes with the backing vocals of his band mates, although we cannot define whose voice is whose. Although it is minor, I feel that they have been cut out and replaced.

The album is solid. Its loud, rhythmic and a must for any fan. Yet, we have the issue of length and with albums, the bigger, the better. American Beauty has fallen even shorter than Save Rock n' Roll with just less than 40 minutes. Its this sort of length which means albums can finish so quick, you didn't have time tidy yourself up. Although its move to a more mainstream audience has led some of their older fans to get their knickers in a twist, I feel that Fall Out Boy are pushing boundaries within the rocker scene and American Beauty extends these further. However, at this moment, I don't feel that this album is as diverse and exciting as Save Rock n' Roll and lean towards giving this outing a 7.5/10 in the hope it will grow on me like its predecessor and may warrant a higher score. Its ambition is reported positive and I'm inclined to agree with some of these groups out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment